Originally opened in 1955 by Al Martino, Al's Steak House has been a landmark in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia. When John Severson took over in 1965, the loyal customer base had grown dramatically. Al's became known as the 'go-to' place to get the best Philly cheese steak sub in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area.
Sadly, John passed away on August 15th, 2015 after a yearlong battle with lung cancer. The business was closed for seven months until the Breeding Family decided to re-open with the help of John's son, Bo.
After two months of renovations the steak house re-opened on July 6th, 2016. Just five hours after opening the doors, a customer noticed smoke coming from one of the light fixtures. The restaurant was evacuated immediately and the Alexandria Fire Department was called. Fortunately, no one was hurt during the incident but the restaurant was closed once again.
With the help and the support of the Del Ray community, we planned to rebuild. Two weeks after the fire, Holy Cow hosted a fundraiser that brought in over $20,000! In the fall we were able to feed those who were missing Al's the most at Art on the Avenue, an annual festival of the Del Ray community. We appreciate everyone's patience and continued support during the year-long process. The Breeding family is happy to say that as of August 2nd, Al's is open for good!